Sunday, June 19, 2011

My daughters' joint birthday party

So let’s start with the fun and frivolous part of my parenting: planning the girls’ birthday parties.  Two of my daughters share a birthday (same day, three years apart), and I take advantage of this economy of scale by hosting one big party for both. Because we host the party at our local children’s museum each year (lots of safe space for the kids to run around + someone else doing the clean-up = easy party on the parents), we are limited in our “theme” and space design options.  Without the ability to create elaborate spreads and backdrops, I instead try to choose a simple motif to carry through the party, from the invitations to the décor to the cake to the favors to the thank-you notes.  This year, the lovely work of Sarah + Abraham, which I discovered through Etsy, provided a starting point for inspiration.  They designed and produced these charming invitations which were printed on beautiful, thick paper:



After falling in love with the invitations, I decided to use silhouettes --- of both the girls and butterflies --- as recurring themes through the party:







We made the cupcakes ourselves, but dressed them up with Sarah + Abraham’s cupcake toppers:




Even the girls' dresses had butterflies:






I must admit I became obsessed with these personalized muslin favor bags


which we filled with museum passes and yummy madeleine tea cakes, in honor of our eldest daughter:


After the big museum party, where we hosted 40+ kids and their parents for pizza, fruit, and cupcakes, we celebrated with a family dinner, cake, and presents at home: 




These birthday angel figurines were given to me by my grandmother many years ago; I now "re-gift" them to my girls, for a bit of nostalgia:




Finally, in honor of our middle daughter, a sassy redhead, we drank:




I am grateful to the following vendors, most of which are mom-owned businesses (which I love supporting!), for their creativity, talent, and excellent customer service:

Invitations, cupcake toppers, favor stickers, and thank-you notes: Sarah + Abraham
Personalized muslin favor bags: Perideau Designs
Butterfly oreo pops: Sweeties by Kim
Pink cakes with girls’ silhouettes: Polkadots Cupcake Factory
Rose macarons: La Patisserie
Birthday girls’ dresses: Hopscotch Designs
Birthday Girl #2’s Headband: Lizzie, Izzie, and James
Petite fille onesie on baby sister: Chocolatine


Most importantly, the kids had fun; my sweet daughters were delighted by the “prettiness” of the festivities; and because of the party’s relative simplicity, I had time to celebrate and reflect on the joy my children bring me.  I even remembered to take some cake to my aforementioned next-door neighbor.  :) And now, I’m already thinking about next year!

(sharing with Design Dazzle and Celebrations at Home)

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful family and what a lovely party! You are very creative. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! And for the lovely onesie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful family! Love the silhouette theme - very chic, modern, and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skipping over from Celebrations At Home's linky party...I love Sarah + Abraham and you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete