Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cozy Back Porch

Last week, I shared my parents' welcoming front porch.  This week, I am pleased to share their screened-in back porch, which is cozy, intimate, and also used year-round.


The focal point of the back porch is the gas fireplace surrounded with limestone excavated during the house construction. The mantle was custom made from local cedar.  The use of local materials is in keeping with Craftsman tradition.




My step-dad, an accomplished wood-worker, handmade this beautiful dining table from local cedar as well:





The back porch is furnished with comfortable all-weather furniture.  The floors are stained and scored concrete and are very practical for our climate and cleaning.





Decor is intentionally rustic, using mostly vintage finds and emphasizing the lakehouse theme.









I especially love the vintage water skis:




The porch is wonderfully cozy during the winter holidays, when my mother adds vintage and rustic Christmas decor. 






My parents always have a project ready for my girls when they visit.  Here, they are making pinecone bird feeders:



And of course, there is no better place to enjoy hot cocoa:





New to the cul-de-sac?  Please consider following via BlogLovin', GFC, or email! 

5 comments:

  1. My parents have the SAME painting of the old boat with 2 people in it that says "Welcome to Lake Norman"... small world!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous space. I love the lodge feel, and it is so inviting. I would love for you to link up to my ongong Inspire Me party. - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/172nd-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your parents' back porch is absolutely stunning. The area was very relaxing, especially with the fireplace! It's good to spend time with your family in a place like this during the winter. You can stay warm and cozy while you relish the great moments with your loved ones. :D

    Barrett Elmore @ Nehemiah ReConstruction

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Just browsing the internet for bird feeder designs and came upon a pic of the little girl by the big fireplace. Amazing and Barrett is right on. Great place to be during a cold winter, enjoying time with family and by the nice fireplace. Very cozy and wonderful! We've been wanting to do something very similar to this to the back of our house. You've given me some great ideas! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This fireplace looks great! Amazing designer.
    If you need sofa cushion covers, you can refer to this list https://www.diyviqmx.com/

    ReplyDelete